Thursday, November 8, 2007

WHAT IS LOYALTY?

A few years ago, one of my football players came into my classroom in the middle of my lesson and asked if I could talk to him for a few minutes. Although I hesitated at first, I eventually agreed to hear him out. It was at this time where he thanked me for all the time and attention I had given him for the last few months, but confessed that he could not play for our team anymore because he did not have any insurance and his family could not afford the insurance offered through the school. This player was not one of our "star players" nor was he one of our "starters", but this kid had been with us all summer long, sweating and feeling the agony and delight of our workouts. "why did you wait until today?" I asked impatiently, "didn't I tell you today was the last day to turn in all the paperwork!" "Yes" he answered, "but I guess I was too embarrassed to tell you".

What would you have done if you were in my shoes?

> Be upset because he interrupted your class
> Say "thank you, and good bye"
> Find a possible solution to the problem.

WHY?

I am pretty sure you know what action I took that day (I hope).
To me Loyalty is a very important virtue, especially in any family, group or team. I strongly believe that it is the extend to how players build their relationship with other teammates that determines the overall character of a team. If you can't be loyal, you cannot be trusted and if you cannot be trusted then you cannot be a team member. Would you trust someone who at any given time turns his/her back on you? On the other hand would you trust the person who frequently has gone beyond his/her duty to help you in any moment of need no matter how huge or insignificant the situation might seem?

Let's move forward with those who will be loyal to our team, those who will self-sacrifice in order to strengthen our relationship, and those who no matter what "will have your back!"

"the willingness to make a personal sacrifice to strengthen a relationship."

If you must know what action I took that day, here it is: I brought this situation to the team, where they all volunteered to pitch in for the insurance premium, although we were still short, I was able to make it enough and the player was able to play for us that season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I really liked that; it was really deep. That redefines the word "team"

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of being embarrassed, but i also know the feeling of a team helping out. That's really good, and loyalty is a big part of constructing a team even a person, and without it, it's impossible to win.